Dr said at 69 years of age.I needed a shingles ovaccination.

Their Office can't keep on hand due to shelf life so they sent me to local pharmacy for $200 shingles Zostavax vaccination. Aetna wouldn't pay because they said Kroger does not qualify and they don't care if the Dr. prescribed it or not. I have had other prescriptions filled by Kroger and Aetna paid for a one time prescription but maintenance must go mail order.

Don't get this vaccination without really checking out all the Aetna loopholes.I would think they would honor the directions of an Aetna approved Dr.

Had an Experience with Aetna?

Comments

Silver Spring, Maryland, United States #1292212

Yep just left Giant and aetna would not approve my shingle shot. The cost of the shot is $238.00.

Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States #1199679

I've been running into the same problems.Prescription in hand, I tried different pharmacies and they all said "no coverage under Express Scripts, so call them." Did that and ES said no, call health insurance.

Aetna is saying no, so I guess no shingles shot means we get shingles and then Aetna pays out thousands for recovery that can be up to a year!False economy.

nikalseyn
Bay City, Michigan, United States #609954

As you found out and others need to be aware of, always make sure from your insurance company that the place you get the Shingles shot from will be covered.Do not let them tell you to get the shot and then send them the bill for re-imbursement.

You cannot trust the person you talk to on the phone with the insurance company to give you the correct answer.

Many times when you call and get a different customer service rep you will get a different answer.In the case of the shingles shot, because it is so expensive, never pay anyone for it but let the place you got it send in their re-imbursement claim themselves, just like any other vaccination, like the flu shot(if you willing to take a chance on that).